Enhancing your appearance with ear surgery
Ear surgery or otoplasty can improve the shape ear that may be disfigured from trauma or congenitally.
Ear surgery creates a natural shape, while bringing balance and proportion to the ears and face. Correction of even minor deformities can have profound benefits to appearance and self-esteem.
Specifically ear surgery can treat:
- Prominent ears occurring on one or both sides in varying degrees
- Reconstruction of a partial or total ear defect
- Reconstruction following skin cancer surgery
Children who are good candidates for ear surgery are:
- Healthy, without a life-threatening illness or untreated chronic ear infections
- Generally 5-7 years old, or when a child’s ear cartilage is stable enough for correction
- Cooperative and follow instructions well
- Able to communicate their feelings and do not voice objections when surgery is discussed.
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include local, intravenous sedation or general anesthesia. Dr. Thomassen will recommend the best choice for you.
There are a myriad of techniques used for otoplasty depending on the defect at hand.