About Your Breast Lift (Mastopexy)
Commonly referred to as a breast lift or boob lift, mastopexy surgery raises and firms the breasts by removing excess skin and tightening the surrounding tissue to reshape and support the new breast contour.
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during breast lift surgery. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The incision
There are three common incision patterns:
Around the areola
Around the areola and vertically down from the areola to the breast crease
Around the areola, vertically down from the breast crease and horizontally along the breast crease
Step 3 – Reshaping your breasts
After your doctor makes the incisions:
- The underlying breast tissue is lifted and reshaped to improve breast contour and firmness.
- The nipple and areola are repositioned to a natural, more youthful height.
- If necessary, enlarged areolas are reduced by excising skin at the perimeter.
- Excess breast skin is removed to compensate for a loss of elasticity.
Step 4 – Closing the incisions
After your breasts are reshaped and excess skin is removed, the remaining skin is tightened as the incisionsare closed.
Some incision lines resulting from breast lifts are concealed in the natural breast contours; however, others are visible on the breast surface. Incision lines are permanent, but in most cases will fade and significantly improve over time.
Sutures are layered deep within the breast tissue to create and support the newly shaped breasts. Sutures, skin adhesives and/or surgical tape may be used to close the skin.
Step 5 – See the results
The results of your breast lift surgery are immediately visible. Over time, post-surgical swelling will resolve and incision lines will fade.
Satisfaction with your new image should continue to grow as you recover and realize the fulfillment of your goal for breasts which have been restored to a more youthful and uplifted position.
The Breast Lift Procedure
A Breast Lift at Thomassen Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale is an outpatient procedure. The length of time the surgery lasts depends on the number of procedures Dr. Thomassen is performing; however, most procedures are complete within two and a half hours. Since patients will receive anesthesia during their Mastopexy, they need to bring a driver with them on the day of their procedure.
Patients receive either general anesthesia or intravenous sedation. These medications ensure that patients remain comfortable throughout their Mastopexy.
2. The Incisions
The location of the incisions is determined by various factors, including:
- the shape and size of the breasts;
- the patient’s skin quality (elasticity and extra skin)
- the location and size of the patient’s areolas as well as
- the amount of breast sagging Dr. Thomassen needs to address.
The three incision patterns frequently used during a Breast Lift:
The Anchor, Keyhole or Inverted-T Incision
An incision is made around the patient’s areola and then vertically down to the breast crease. Once the breast crease is reached, a horizontal incision is made along the breast crease itself.
The Periareolar Incision
Dr. Thomassen makes an incision around the areola itself.
The Lollipop Incision
An incision is made around the areola, vertically down to the breast crease.
3. The Breasts Are Reshaped
Following the creation of the incisions, Dr. Thomassen will:
- Gently lift and reshape the breast to improve its firmness and contour.
- Reposition the nipple and the areola to a natural-looking, more youthful height on the breast.
- When necessary, excess skin is removed from around the perimeter of the areolas.
- In order to compensate for the loss of elasticity, any excess breast skin is removed.
4. Layered Sutures Are Placed Deep Within the Patient’s Breasts
Once Dr. Thomassen reshapes the breasts and removes the excess skin, he tightens the skin that remains and closes the incisions. In order to ensure that the newly lifted breasts remain supported and to reshape the breasts themselves, sutures are placed deep within the patient’s breast tissue.
5. The Outer Incisions Are Closed
Dr. Thomassen closes the outer incisions using surgical tape, skin adhesives and/or sutures. Although some of the incision lines will be concealed within the natural contours of the breast, others will be visible. While incision lines are permanent, in the majority of cases the lines will fade substantially with time.
6. Surgical Bra or Compression Garment Placement
Depending on the procedures performed, patients receive a soft surgical bra or compression garment.
7. Initial Breast Lift Results
Breast Lift results are visible immediately following the procedure. As time passes, inflammation resolves and the incision lines fade.
8. Recovering from a Breast Lift in Fort Lauderdale
To attain the best results following any plastic or reconstructive surgery, patients need to follow the post-op instructions they receive.
- Patients who have a Breast Lift alone experience minimal discomfort; whereas, patients who have a Breast Lift with an Augmentation or Reduction should expect to experience moderate discomfort for approximately two days following their procedure.
- The majority of patients can return to work within five days of their Mastopexy.
- Following a Breast Lift, light exercise is usually allowed after two weeks and full exercise at the end of four weeks.
If a patient has a Breast Lift in conjunction with an Augmentation or Reduction, restrictions will vary from those listed above.
9. Final Results
As the breasts settle, patients will realize their final results. These results are evident within a few months of the procedure. Even after a Mastopexy, gravity and aging can cause a patient’s breasts to continue changing; however, patients who maintain their weight and follow a healthy lifestyle, will enjoy long-lasting Breast Lift results.
Individuals who would like to know more about the various cosmetic, plastic and reconstructive procedures available at Thomassen Plastic Surgery in Fort Lauderdale should contact the office today.