Breast Augmentation w/Lift
Dr. John Michael Thomassen is a Board Certified Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon in Fort Lauderdale. He can perform a Breast Lift (Mastopexy) alone or in combination with a Breast Augmentation.
The Reasons Breasts Change
As time passes, the breasts lose their youthful contour, become less firm and the skin loses its elasticity. These changes may result from gravity, weight fluctuations, pregnancy, breastfeeding and/or genetics.
What a Breast Lift Can Accomplish
Dr. Thomassen performs Breast Lift procedures at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale to reduce the size of the areola and create a more youthful, uplifted breast profile; as a result, patients enjoy a rejuvenated figure.
What a Breast Augmentation Can Accomplish
A Breast Augmentation (Augmentation Mammoplasty) procedure involves placing breast implants or transferring fat to the breast as a means to restore lost volume or to increase the size of the patient’s breasts. Breast implants are also utilized to reconstruct breasts following an injury or after a woman has a mastectomy.
Dr. Thomassen Tailors Each Procedure to Meet the Needs of the Patient Being Served
Each patient is unique; therefore, Dr. Thomassen customizes the Breast Lift and Augmentation procedures that he performs at his surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale to meet the specific needs of each patient.
Dr. Thomassen will most likely:
- Examine and take detailed measurements of the size and shape of the patient’s breast.
- Note the placement of the nipples and areolas as well as determine the quality of the skin on the breast.
- Take pictures to use for reference and comparison purposes.
- Evaluate and discuss the patient’s general health, address any pre-existing conditions, potential complications and risk factors.
- Recommend a course of treatment, the likely outcomes the patient can expect and which type of anesthesia (general or intravenous) he feels will serve the patient better.
Preparing for a Breast Augmentation with a Lift in Fort Lauderdale
Preparation for a Breast Augmentation with a Lift may require that the patient:
- Visit her general practitioner for a medical evaluation.
- Have lab tests, including blood work and a baseline mammogram. Patients frequently have a mammogram before and after surgery: Radiologists compare these mammograms to future mammograms to look for changes within the breast tissue.
- Take specific medications or adjust current medications.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory drugs, aspirin and herbal supplements: These products can increase the incidence of bleeding.
- Stop smoking.
Breast Augmentation with a Lift in Fort Lauderdale – The Procedure
A Breast Augmentation with a Lift is performed as an outpatient procedure at Dr. Thomassen’s surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale; therefore, patients need to bring a driver with them on the day of their surgery. Furthermore, patients should have someone remain with them for the first night following their Breast Lift with an Augmentation. A Breast Augmentation with a Lift generally lasts 2 to 3 hours.
Dr. Thomassen Performs the Breast Augmentation Before the Lift
During a Breast Augmentation with a Lift, patients receive medication to ensure they remain comfortable throughout their procedure at Dr. Thomassen’s surgical suite in Fort Lauderdale.
2. Incisions are Made
The incisions made during a Breast Augmentation are placed in inconspicuous areas so as to minimize visible scarring. Prior to the procedure, Dr. Thomassen discusses the incision options with the patient. The type of incision used is determined by the degree of enlargement the patient desires, the type of breast implant that is being used, the preferences of the patient-surgeon and the anatomy of the patient.
Breast Augmentation incisions may be placed in the breast fold, at the base of the areola or in a hollow area within an underarm crease.
3. Breast Implant Insertion
The implant may be placed under the pectoral muscle (submuscular) or behind the tissue of the breast (subglandular/submammary).
4. Incision Closure
Layered sutures are used to close the breast tissue. Skin adhesive, surgical tape or sutures are used to close the skin.
Results of a Breast Augmentation are visible immediately. As time passes, the incision lines will become less noticeable.
The Breast Lift Procedure
1. The Breast Lift Incision is Made
There are several types of Breast Lift incisions:
- The ‘Lollipop’ Incision
An incision is made around the outside of the areola and downward until it reaches the crease of the breast.
- The ‘Anchor’ Incision
An incision is made around the outside of the areola and downward until it reaches the crease of the breast crease and then horizontally along the crease itself.
- The ’Donut’ Incision
An incision is made around the areola.
- The ‘Crescent’ Incision
This incision is rarely used; however, when it is used the incision is created along the upper half of the areola.
2. Breast Reshaping
Once the incision is made, Dr. Thomassen will:
- Improve the contour and firmness of the breast by lifting and reshaping the underlying breast tissue.
- Reposition the areola and nipple.
- Reduce the size of enlarged areolas by excising skin around the border (if necessary).
- Remove excess skin.
3. Closing the Incision
The skin that remains tightens as Dr. Thomassen closes the incisions. The newly shaped breasts are supported with layered sutures. Dr. Thomassen closes the skin using skin adhesives, sutures and/or surgical tape.
*Dr. Thomassen may place a small, thin tube just beneath the skin. This tube drains excess fluid or blood that collects; thus, reducing the incidence of swelling.
4. Gauze and Bandages, and Support Bra Application
The patient’s breast area may be wrapped with gauze dressings and bandages. She will also receive a support bra. This support bra needs to be worn as it minimizes swelling and provides support for the breasts as they heal.
Breast Lift results are evident directly following the procedure. Although some of the incision lines are concealed within the breast’s natural contours, other lines will be visible on the surface of the breast: these incision lines are permanent; however, in the majority of cases as time passes these lines will become less noticeable.
Following surgery, patients receive instructions outlining how to care for their breasts, physical limitations, medications, specific symptoms to watch for and information about their follow-up appointment with Dr. Thomassen at his office in Fort Lauderdale.
If you want to learn more about a Breast Augmentation with a Lift, contact Thomassen Plastic Surgery Center in Fort Lauderdale today. We look forward to meeting you.